Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Unofficial Silver Creek R.S. Book Club

Okay, I had to put that disclaimer in the title. Even though the Silver Creek Relief Society sisters meet for this book club, I can't call it the "Silver Creek Relief Society Book Club" unless a member of the ward Relief Society presidency attends the meetings. That hasn't happened yet. So to simplify things, I'm calling this blog the Silver Creek Book Club, since that could reference anything really. I hope that's okay.

Now, as to why I decided to create this blog. I haven't been able to get my act together and actually have a book club meeting. I think the last one was held in October 2009. And even when I did have a meeting, turn-out was poor. I know many sisters couldn't attend the meetings but still wanted to participate, so that is why I've set up this blog. My hope is that this blog will allow us to discuss the books chosen to be read as a club. I also hope it will give us a place where we can post opinions of other, non club books we've read, and that it can be a source of suggestion for those looking for a good read. So basically, this blog will function as the club itself. I will still hold monthly meetings because I like, and sometimes need, the socialization aspect of meeting in person.

As for the types of books we will be reading as a club, I would like to follow the Lord's admonition to "seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom" (D&C 88:118). And as we are taught by the Prophet Joseph Smith, "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things" (Articles of Faith 1:13). I hope the books we read will follow this counsel and help us to be better people because of what we have read. That being said, let's read some of everything, fiction and non-fiction alike. I prefer fiction, I won't lie, but I know there is much good to be found in non-fiction.

Happy Reading!
Kim

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! My friend in LA started a blog like this and it's still going strong even though many of the sisters have since moved away from the area. I hope this one is as long lived! A cool thing to do is to find a picture of the book you are talking about and post it. You can probably google search and find a pic or do Amazon.com then copy and paste or save it onto your computer and post it when you make a new blog post. I also prefer fiction, but I do know a few good non-fiction books as well. One book is Presidents and Prophets by Michael K. Winder. It tells the stories of every LDS Prophet and American President who have met. You'd be surprised!
    ~Jenny Croft :)

    ReplyDelete